Monday 6 June 2016

Luton Study environment

Due to all of my previous comments about noise levels and despite previous complaints I've being given
unworkable 'solutions' which I could do instead of dealing with people who treat the library like the hub or
canteen.  Further, there's a small flaw in the system in which where a specific book is brought for someone to
complete there dissertation.. Why would it go onto the system straight away for other users to then reserve
when the book was specifics for someone work and crucial to there work? I've had to incur a fine and not
been able to take books out because the above has happened to me. I'd had the book 6 days before someone
 reserved what was the only book relevant to the niche area my dissertation was on. What an unsatisfactory
service on top of the distractions allowed on floors 1 and 3. 
Further, upon having a file go corrupt on my memory stick I sought the help from the staff however the attitude
I got was I should have used the u drive which is secure and accessible from home. I was told it was in the
handbook (which I didn't receive) and that it was signposted over the library (which I'm yet to see). When I
went to get the code to access the u drive, two members had to check whether they were supposed to give it
out to students and further specifically said they do not advertise the use of the u drive. When I was in a panic
about losing work I was made out to have made a stupid decision because I should have known of other
securer ways to transport my work but two other members contradicted all of that. Very disappointing treatment..

We said: Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention
Noise: the silent floors are levels 2 & 3 are patrolled by staff and are electronically monitored for noise. if you
chose to work in other areas of the LRC then noise cancelling headphones are your best option
Book purchase: I am not aware of a book being bought specifically for you so I do not know the details I would
say that any item bought for Learning Resources is for anyone in the University community and everyone has
 equal access to the resources. if a book is reserved then it has to go to that person and not be renewed
Handbook: our handbook is available from level 1 of the LRC from Setember until about April - you just
need to pick one up.  Its also available on line
http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/guides/handbooks/library-handbook-201415
Corrupt file: staff gave you specific advice about using your U drive it wasn't an attitude problem. i agree that as
you subsequently had problems accessing the code this wasn't particularly helpful. They could've suggested that
you purchase a new USB but I imagine that they wanted to save you money