Tuesday 17 December 2013

Luton - Study environment

The university has gradually rolled out incremental improvements to the Luton park square campus over the years. As a Luton resident for nearly all my life I've seen these, and now am witnessing them internally as a student of the university. 

The areas downstairs have seen a great improvement; I was honestly blown away when I saw just how much of an improvement the lower floor of the library had seen. 
As a student I can see how much money has been spent in rejuvenating these areas of the university - these changes reinforce my choice to study at the university in the first place. 
However, as a mature student I feel reluctant to use these facilities - due to the fact that similarly as with the social study space - not many students actually use this space for academia. Most of the time when I go by there it's more like a playground, loud and disruptive and not an environment conductive for any kind of meaningful learning. I understand that students do require a space to collaborate on their work, and this cannot be achieved in silence, however there needs to be some kind of control. What is the use of spending millions on improvements when the students can't use these bright and fresh new areas for anything other than messing around?
If there was some kind of a presence within these areas, during peak times only to monitor the room and ensure it doesn't get too out of control, I'm sure it would go a long way to improving these environments for the benefit of other students. 

My other comment regarding the library, is the silent study areas on the top floor. 
I often get distracted at home, and when I feel as though I've been particularly slow with coursework I head to the library to knuckle down properly. 
I can spend hours in the library producing quality work. There are signs everywhere constantly reminding students that this is a silent study area, however in the past couple of weeks I've witnessed groups of students using this area as a meeting point.
Even with headphones on, I can still hear people whispering behind me. Going to the library for me is a last resort often - I struggle with my concentration, so make the 40 minute walk into town to the uni library and have a quiet atmosphere to work in.
It is incredibly frustrating for me to make this walk in, only to have groups of people whispering or talking quietly around me constantly. 
I'm not sure how the sound monitors work within the library, or if there is someone assigned to each floor to monitor students - but it would be good if students were told to go elsewhere if they need a social environment.

So essentially, I find the facilities at the university to be excellent, for me it's certain students who are disruptive and certainly cause me issues.


Thank you for sharing your positive comments about the improvements made to the study spaces in the LRC. Its really great to know that we're doing something right.
I would like to reply to each of your concerns
Ground floor LRC: The Social Learning Space and the refurbished IT Suite were specifically developed as direct responses to  the teaching needs of the University. Virtually every course of study has an element of group work that requires appropriate space for students to work together. Each student of the University has their own learning style. This style may change as an individual progresses through academia or according to the assignment in hand. Some people like to work in noisy environments. Some people need to talk as part of their learning style. As a University of adults self monitoring is a part of that progression. One person's idea of quiet or silent is quite different to another. Setting a standard of behaviour when applied across 200 individuals the environment is not going to be quiet. Both these areas - nonetheless - have quiet peroids. I would advise you to look out for early mornings (before 11am) and later in the afternoon for opportunities to work in these spaces when there is a more moderate level of noise.
Silent Study floors: level 2 & 3 of Luton's LRC are designated Silent Study floors at the request of the student body. Provision is made for group and social learning elsewhere in the LRC so there is an expectation for students to choose their preferred study environment and abide by the requirements of that space. The Silent floors are monitored electronically and this is backed up by staff patrols - during staffed hours. Any student caught breaking the Silence requirement is allowed one warning after that Library sanctions come into effect. Student behaviour was a key theme at the recent Student Union conference. This is a university concern which is being looked at by staff, students themselves and the Student Union