Thursday 21 January 2016

Luton - Silent Study levels 2 & 3

I wanted to email as I find it incredibly distracting in the silent study area of the library! The computers are poorly positioned infront of the doors with people in and out continuously talking! Bedford is much better with computers positioned around the outside to counteract that noise! However, Bedford is no longer accessable for me and this is the campus I am situated now. There is also a memeber of staff to ask other students to be quiet should they be in there having a full blown discussion particularly loud! This is not something I have experienced at this campus in the past 18 months. I contribute to this university and find it ridiculous I am unable to study!! particularly in my last year when I have a dissertation due!! 

Thank you for taking the trouble to high light your concerns. PCs are naturally noisier that laptop or tablet use and the rationale for situating them near the door was to concentrate potential high level ambient noise in one area. The edges of levels 2 & 3 at Luton are distinctly quieter than the area immediately adjacent to the door. There are PCs in the side rooms and you may wish to consider working there.

Staff are timetabled to patrol the floors on an hourly basis - we do not have staff capacity to  locate a member of staff permanently on the silent floors. If fellow students are not observing the silence requirements it would be best to notify staff at the Customer Service desk on level 1 immediately.