Monday 18 November 2013

Luton - Study Enviroment

Just as I am sitting in the library and just thought of an idea. It would be nice to have a announcements for students reminding to low their voice in main library. Like that is already a social space but would be nice to keep reminding rather then students do that, it will staff making it in polite way.

Please consider it as I even ask some students.

Thank you for sharing your idea with me. I appreciate the opportunity to clarify what we currently do.
Levels 2 & 3 of the LRC are silent floors. They are monitored electronically and by staff patrolling. This way we can keep the study environment as silent as possible.
In the rest of the library we offer a variety of learning environments and the sound level varies. 
Thank you for your suggestion. I understand why you have made it but after due consideration  I do not think it would be appropriate for staff to walk around adding to the noise in the area. In addition we do not have enough staff to patrol the whole library in the way you suggest. It is more effective to use staff patrols on the silent floors than try to establish a sound level across the library.
If you require a silent study environment may I encourage you to use the levels 2 & 3. If you like a quiet environment may I suggest the Park Street end of the library. If you like somewhere with a bit of bustle level 1 Church End would be the right spot. More social areas are on the ground floor in the Social Learning Space and the IT Suite.