Monday 7 November 2016

Referencing

I wish to inquire about the Harvard referencing.

First is on how to cite webpages. On the part where it says, 'Title of Webpage', what does it pertain to? Is it the title of the article on that webpage? Take for example the publication by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) entitled Identifying and managing clinical risks in newborn babies and providing care for infants in the community who need respiratory support. Will that be the title of the webpage? That's the only title I can see on the webpage itself.


Second, if I find a journal article online in a pdf format such that it looks exactly the same as it would on a hardcopy of a magazine, which formatting do I use? Will it be the webpage because I found it online? or the journal articles because it actually is a journal article but just in a pdf format?

Thanks for your email.

Yes you are correct the title of the webpage is the title of the article on the webpage.  So yes the CQC webpage title you have identified is correct.

I would reference a journal article in the journal article format if you have all the information you need to be able to do this, e.g. Journal title, volume number, issue numbers, page numbers.

I hope this helps  there is information on the web too
http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/guides/a-guide-to-referencing