Friday 4 November 2016

Luton Library - temperatures

The library is very cold, especially the silent study rooms, there seems to be no source of heating operational. This is a huge issue for me due to health issues regarding my back,leg and nervous system, having these rooms so cold is causing me pain and discomfort, yet it is the only place in the university with silent study and computer access. If there is somewhere else for people with health conditions to sit, do work and have silence please point me in the right direction?. 

Thank you for taking the trouble to raise your concerns with me. Luton Library's environmental controls are set between 19 – 23 degrees centigrade and we monitor temperatures with cardboard thermometers. If temperatures fall between these parameters we can do nothing. Temperatures have not fallen outside these parameters so far!

I can offer you a cardboard thermometer so you can find study space that measures in the 20 degrees centigrade rather than 19 degrees (and of course if it dips below 19 degrees you can let us know). Please let me know and I can arrange for you to pick one up next time you are in the library.

I understand that you have not approached the Health and Well Being team so the University doesn't not have specific information on your condition to help you. May I advise you to do this at your soonest convenience?

I will also say that the recent drop in temperatures has taken some students by surprise. Perhaps you could review your wardrobe so you can adapt to the lower winter temperatures with appropriate clothing