Monday 29 July 2013

Silent Study - Bedford

I am aware that there is a suggestion to create the whole of the UoB library second floor as a silent working area.

I think that is a good idea, if we have different processes in place to ensure the space allocated is indeed for silent work.

In the short time (approximately 6 months) I have tried using the small silent working room on the ground floor, I have found:-

  • other learners who habitually ignore the fact that it is a silent working room
  • that ALL staff who have come in to help a learner, talk so loudly there may as well be no 'rule'
  • that staff talking loudly collude with the ignoring of the rule
  • I have been obliged again and again to remind others of the purpose of the room and had at times to deal with abusive behaviour as a result
I hope you do good research on the idea e.g. visiting other large silent work areas.  For your information, at Bedford College, there is a large silent working room.  It is chaotic.  Individuals come together there to do group work.  People listen to music on their headsets.  Staff come in to chat with small groups doing their group work.  Silent study in such an environment is a myth.

I would prefer to have a small silent working area rather than a large room in which I am positioned as 'police' simply because I appreciate working silently and I have deliberately sought my preferred work environment.

Therefore, my plea would be to always have a small silent study area AND that if you go ahead with the idea of a large silent area that new processes are implemented so that the space benefits those who want to study silently rather than those who do not.  I also think it important that individuals do not have the primary responsibility for ensuring other individual learners adhere to the requirement.  I say this, having experienced the abusive and argumentative responses from others when challenged to be silent.

I am happy to speak with any colleague on this matter as it is important to me as I am sure it is to others.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

The Silent Study space project at Bedford Library is more than a suggestion it is a building work in progress which will start 12.8.13

A great deal of planning and preparation has gone into creating this space. Learning Resources have been aware of student demand for silent  study space at Bedford for a while. Learning Resources have consulted with the SU and Faculty Boards on what the best provision could be. A whole floor of Silent study space seemed the best solution. We are therefore delighted to be able to put our plan into action for the 2013/14 academic year

The 2nd floor at Bedford Library will:
be screened off at the atrium to inhibit noise leakage from other floors
have electronic monitoring so if noise levels exceed pre set levels staff will attend to warn customers to maintain the silence or issue "Written Warnings
there will be noise patrols as staff go about their duties

Any complaints from customers on level 2 will be dealt with directly. I would encourage you to talk to staff on the customer service desk if you encounter any problems.
There are no plans to keep the room on the ground floor as a silent space at the moment as demands for different styles of study space are being considered.

I hope this puts your mind at rest