Monday 15 July 2013

Digital Library

I am emailing as I am looking to do my dissertation for next year to see how a child's physical activity levels can affect their spatial awareness and anticipation.  However I have come across problems with being able to access resources online, as when i try to log in through Athens or Sibbath (to log in through the uni) it says I do not have access.  Is this something that can be sorted out so i can get access to the resources on spatial  awareness, or am i going to have to redo my idea.


I hope something can be done as I do not have any other diss ideas.  

Thank you for your enquiry. I am sorry that you seem to be having problems with using the digital library. I am sure that there are plenty of resources available to support your dissertation idea. Shibboleth and Athens are not resources in their own right you have to use the catalogue or DISCOVER to find materials in the first place.
 If you try use ATHENS you will have no success as the University does not use this tool
http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/faq/usernames-and-passwords/ive-heard-of-athens.-what-is-it

The University uses Shibboleth - UK Access Management Federation -  as an authentication tool.
http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/faq/usernames-and-passwords/what-does-the-via-uk-access-management-federation-link-mean

May I check with you on how you are accessing digital resources?
We advise everyone to start with the library catalogue
library.beds.ac.uk
click on the Digital Library tab
http://library.beds.ac.uk/search/D

Using the search boxes to define your search then click go. As you click into the resources you will be asked to sign in. You do that with your normal University username and password.
Alternatively use DISCOVER using the link on the front page of LRWeb
type your search (author, title or keywords) in the search box and click the search button and sign in with your normal University username and password.

if you do all this and still having problems please ring
01582 743488
Mon - Fri 08.30 - 20.00
Sat 10.30 - 17.30
for over the phone advice