Friday 6 January 2017

Over due book - Billed Status

I have received an invoice today billing me for a replacement book - Assessment for learning and teaching in primary schools. I am not happy that I have received this as it states the book is 'considerably overdue' and the first letter I receive from you is a charge for the book! 

I returned this book on 3rd January to the Luton campus and I have paid the outstanding fines. I borrowed the book on 24th November and have tried to renew it several times but have been unable to as it was reserved by other students. I needed to keep the book as I was using it for my coursework and assignment. I would not consider having a book for just over a month as a considerable amount of time. If this book is in such high demand then maybe the University needs to invest in more copies instead of wasting money posting out threatening invoices.


I would appreciate it if you would enable my library account immediately.

 Thank you for your email. There appears to have been an administrative hiccup where your Billed item notice was sent out even though the book was returned.

On returning the item your library account would automatically be released

Assessment for learning and teaching in primary schools was a 7 day loan (ie due back 1st Dec) so  the item was at least 5 weeks overdue and the person waiting for their reservation had to wait 6 weeks. For that person that is a considerable amount of time.

The University has 10 copies of this item which is sufficient to mean student needs when complying with loan periods which clearly state: renewals… unless reserved by another person:
Loan Periods
Standard Loan:
Loan period 2 weeks, 20 renewals per item - unless reserved by another person.
7 Day Loan:
Loan period 1 week, 20 renewals per item - unless reserved by another person.

You can check the status of your library account at any time you are online and this will indicate what loans fines or outstanding Billed Items you have
https://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/libraryservices/availableservices/regforserv/lib-reg

If you have any problems accessing digital materials please phone 01234 793189 for advice as it will have nothing to do with a Billed Item