Monday 12 June 2017

Opening hours

I am writing to you to express my deepest concerns at the email I received on June 9th regarding the new opening hours for the University's library service.
I would like to draw your attention to the attachments below which shows screen shots of the University's website which details that both the Luton and Bedford Libraries are 24/7, 365 days a year.
I am a full time student that is on a March to March year course. We complete our studies including exams, presentations and assignments all throughout the year with only a few weeks off during the summer, this year that is from the 24th of July to the 24th of August.
Following seeing the new hours I am deeply concerned for my education for a number of different reasons.
Firstly, computer access. As a full time student with no income I cannot afford to purchase a laptop or computer and therefore rely on the use of the UOB computers.
Secondly, as my course requires me to complete 750 hours placement a year, including weekends and nights , the new opening hours including being closed on certain Sundays will seriously disturb my study patterns thus leading to a detrimental effect on my study.
Thirdly, being a March start student I feel I am suffering by not having the same facilities that a September student has, whilst still paying the same amount in fees. I feel if the UOB is prepared to take in students outside of the standard academic year then they should be prepared to offer the same support and facilities.
Fourthly, I live in student accommodation and only have one room which is a small space. For me my room is a place of relaxation and not a good environment for study as it poses too many distractions and excuses for me not to study. By having the library as a learning space it allows me to give time and focus to my study.
Lastly, the UOB has continued to advertise and boast the fact that they offer a library that is 24/7, 365 days a year and this is simply not the case.
I write this email in the hope that the management of the university will revert there decision of the opening times on which there was no student consultation. I feel that the University needs to support its students and I feel that the revised opening hours are a cheap shot at saving money at the expense of our education.
I trust that by reading this email you will get the sense of the desperation that I have for this decision to be immediately reversed.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for raising your concerns. The University has had to reduce the 24/7 library opening offer to save money. To that end Bedford and Luton Libraries opening hours will change over the summer period only. Specifically  opening hours will change 12 June - 1 October 2017 effecting this change will ensure that 24/7 is operational for the rest of the year.

12 June - 23 July
·         Monday - Friday 8.30 - 20.00
·         Saturdays 10.15 - 17.45
·         Sundays CLOSED
 Please see our website for details for the rest of the summer period

The University will review its opening hours options throughout the summer. Any changes will be advertised on our website. Your concerns will be passed to senior management

Regarding your attachments. I am sorry but you have been caught on the crux of an automatic update and the screen display of your mobile device

Attachment 1 - Luton Library opening hours. Mobile screen does not display the whole page. If you scroll down the page there is advanced notice of the summer opening hours.
Attachment 2 - Bedford Library Opening Times.Mobile screen does not display the whole page. If you scroll down the page there is advanced notice of the summer opening hours.
Attachment 3 - Web page 24/7 - timed update for Monday 12th
Attachment 4 - Web page 24/7 - timed update for Monday 12th
Attachment 5 email on Summer opening times - this shows the changes for the first part of the summer
Attachment 6 - 24/7 - timed update for 12 June