Wednesday 19 December 2018

Sconul Access


I’m sorry to bother you about this but I received an error message saying the libraryideas@beds.ac.uk account isn’t working when I sent the below email to that mailbox.

I’m planning to drop into the Bedford library for a day or two between Christmas and new year to work on an essay I have to write for a coaching course I’m doing through work, and plan to use SCONUL access. I wanted to check the security staff would be able to let me in if I took the required SCONUL paperwork.


Thank you for your enquiry. The library ideas email is down because we are having a software upgrade. This does not affect the Sconul Access application process.

You need an email of authorisation and Brunel should have information on this. Once you have that email you may apply to any library in the Sconul Access scheme but you do need to check with each institution on their access arrangements. At University of Bedfordshire we have swipe access and so a membership process is necessary.

The information for Visitors is on our website –LRWeb.


and here (paragraph Free Schemes for Students from Other institutions)

I have to tell you that you will not be allowed in without a valid membership card. There is a notice on our web pages stating
SERVICE NOTICE: Due to volume of demand and Christmas vacation
7 December - 7 January no new Visitor applications will be processed. Processing will start again 7 January 2019 and take up to 15 days.
Allow a maximum of 15 working days for your application to be processed. Please be patient. Visitor enquiries on Campus will only be dealt with in person at ground floor reception week days 10.00 - 14.00. We do not give status reports on your application's progress. There are no IDs available on demand.
We advise posting applications with the necessary passport style photo.