Tuesday 28 October 2014

Students with Assistive Status

I have a complaint to make regarding the Library.  I have a book, now overdue, which I tried to renew online on Mon 27th Oct, which was the due date.  The system did not let me renew it - it didn't say anyone else had reserved it, or give any other reason, the screen just froze.  I tried several times with the same result.  I had been into Campus earlier in the day for an ITT session and could have brought the book with me had I known the system would be down, but I did not, and as I live in Cambridge it was not feasible for me to go back and get it.

This book is now overdue and unable to be renewed as it has a reserve on it.  As I don't drive, it is currently half term, and Uni doesn't start again until 12th Nov, I have no chance to return the book before then, by which time it will have incurred an enormous fine.


I have a Learning agreement with the University.  As I tried my utmost to renew the book on Mon 27th I think it is very unfair that I should incur what will be a substantial fine. I feel this would be discriminatory as it was clearly a fault in the system which made renewing the book on 27th impossible.

Thanks for your enquiry. Looking at your library account I can see that you borrowed that book on 10.9.14. You have renewed it 7 times and was due back yesterday 27.10.14
There is a waiting list of  3 people who have placed reservations and are waiting to use that book. This means that you can no longer renew it and must return it as soon as possible.
You say that the system did not let you renew the book. There is a message that comes up to say "Reserved by another customer please return"


As a Student with Assistive Status you do not get charged fines. Full information is on our website:
Assistive Customers are entitled to unlimited renewals (unless the item is requested by another customer). Fines will be waived but other associated sanctions will apply.


I am sorry that you weren’t aware of this information. It would have been covered at your orientation/induction albeit briefly. Did you miss it by any chance? Please take advantage of the information on LRWeb to help you find out more to help your research.
http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/libraryservices/availableservices
http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/guides
http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/studyhub