Tuesday 8 April 2014

Luton - study environment

It is with deep regret that I find myself writing to you, regarding the unacceptable standards of the LRC; in particular floor three.
I am an external/professional student, who has paid an annual subscription fee to access the LRC facilities. I originally subscribed just over a year ago, having welcomed the University's decision to make the LRC open 24/7. I subsequently joined up to use the quiet learning facilities on levels two and three, to start my studies.
However, in recent months I have found that I am paying for a service which is not delivering the standards promised.
Both myself and numerous professional/postgraduate students, have found ourselves having to continuously "Regulate" the behaviour and noise levels of UOB students since October 2013. On a few occasions students have become confrontational when approached to adhere to the LRC rules. This is hardly surprising as we are not UOB staff nor security who should really be addressing this behaviour. Hence, this is why you have employed security personnel to do the job. This past week I have hardly seen any security personnel patrolling the third floor and on Monday I did not see any at all.
The noise is not the only issue I wish to address. Throughout the year I have noticed certain students consuming various types of foods and not clearing up the mess left behind, soiling desks. Yet again, I can understand someone eating snack type foods such as crisps, chocolate or even the odd sandwich to keep energy levels up. However, when students bring in full blown meals I find this to be over stepping the mark. I have witnessed students eating Curries, Far Eastern food, Fried chicken and chips, fish and chips, Big Mac Meals, jacket potatoes with various fillings etc. The most amusing event so far has to be two students who crept in to level three, daytime, with a 9" pizza and chips, with the sole intention of using the floor as a dining facility - as soon as they had finished eating, they dumped the box in a bin adjacent to me and left; neither had any laptops or books with them.
A few months ago, this lack of hygiene led to my wife finding mould growing on the back of my text books, which I only ever use at the LRC. The books cost eleven times the annual subscription I have paid to the LRC. As a direct consequence of these hygiene issues, I have resorted to wiping the desks down prior to commencing my study. Leading to my spending a small fortune on cleaning wipes to date.
These problems have increased during the course of this term and the tipping point being this week.  Monday, two students caused so much noise gossiping it forced three people to move away as they ignored requests to be quieter. Tuesday a postgraduate asked someone to continue a phone call outside, followed up by three people doing group work in a silent area. On Wednesday I had to remind a few students in the computer room to talk quietly, they became confrontational and carried on even louder after I shut the room door. Finally I had the experience of somebody consuming "pungent food", in front of me. I noticed the LRC has noise detectors and the odd surveillance camera, nevertheless, I assume they are for decorative purposes only? There are only a sample of LRC associated staff, who do enforce your rules on level 3, but these are few and far in between.
A lack in surveillance has lead to the increase of rule violation, therefore, leading to deviant behaviour of the LRC rules.
I originally joined up to use the LRC services as a place to study for professional exams in a quiet and serious environment. My career and family both rely heavily upon the success of my further qualification. Surprisingly, in comparison to the Luton Public Library they seem to be less tolerant towards the same issues that I've raised here.
I can not convey my disappointment any clearer other than stating that I am considering whether to ask the LRC for a refund of the fees paid.

It is a shame I have had to raise these issues with you but I strongly feel that you should be made aware of the situation at hand. The incidents do not occur daily, but regularly enough to warrant a complaint.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. First of all I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by these problems.

We take care to ensure that important matters such as this are properly managed and dealt with. It is most appropriate to speak to staff about this so they could do something about this on the spot. Overnight this would mean asking security for support.

Levels 2 & 3 of the Luton LRC are silent floors. No amount of talking is acceptable. Phone conversations are supposed to take place on the landing outside the lifts. When library staff are on duty please report noise problems directly to them. During staffed hours there are staff patrols approx every half hour and the area is electronically monitored for noise.

http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/libraryservices/availableservices/study-env

Level 2 & 3  were made Silent Study areas at the request of the student body. Provision is made for group and social learning elsewhere in the LRC so there is an expectation for students to choose their preferred study environment and abide by the requirements of that space. This is harder to monitor overnight as the building is patrolled by security. Any student caught breaking the Silence requirement is allowed one verbal warning after that Library sanctions come into effect. Student behaviour was a key theme at the Student Union conference November 2013. This is a university concern which is being looked at by staff, students themselves and the Student Union. Action is taken towards anyone who disregards the silence requirement.

We get complaints about the smell and mess made by customers eating in the LRC. There are clear rules which prohibit eating in the LRC. We have numerous posters throughout the LRC directing customers to eat in the Campus Centre or the Social Leaning Space. Again we rely on customers abiding by the rules. Staff will ask customers to take their food out when they see it or it is pointed out to them. Penalties are in place for those individuals who disregard the rules. Please report this to staff directly.


If you choose to withdraw your membership that is your right but the University does not offer refunds.