Monday 30 October 2017

Luton Library Silent Study Rooms

  I am now in my third and final year however. In my second year i spent alot of my time in the library using the 'silent' area on 4th floor. Unfortunatly, many students are NOT silent and this distracts me, i do confront them politely and often they will then be quiet however can more be done by library or Uni staff? I resorted to booking the group rooms for silence to work... this then restricts groups from using the rooms. I am again in this area as i write this and there is loud laughter, people speaking n their mobile phones and loud discussion within the walkway areas. Can their be some kind of patrol put in place every half hour? I dont know what more to suggest but i leave my home with children to escape for a quiet area to study and write assignments and this year my dissertation! I should not have to be constantly distracted when placing myself on a silent floor!

Thank you for raising your concerns I can understand your frustration. Staff are here to ensure the study environment is appropriate to the design of the building. Both library staff and security will help you.
On level 4 there are two large silent study rooms (with only a few PCs) and 4 smaller group study rooms (with 6 PCs) with black booking kiosks on the outside. The silent study rooms are behind sound proof glass and have doors which also shut out noise and there are no walkways as such.

If you ever find the silent study rooms to be noisy please go to the customer service desk on level 1 or - during staffed hours - ring in the open area (with the books), Customer Service desk 01582 743488 and give your location.

The group study rooms are for groups so if a room is occupied by less than 4 people and there is sufficient demand that solitary person will be asked to leave.

There are also silent study rooms on level 5 and level 6