Thursday 16 November 2017

Printing

 I wish to make a complaint about the changes to the computer system and the printers in the library. Too many times I have experienced errors in printing documents, the documents do not print whole articles (pages are missing), but it is happy to take my printer credits anyway! Secondly, the changes to the computer system, when using Discover I am finding it difficult to print articles due to the changes which have been made to the system. Why I am I paying £9,000 a year for this terrible service. I am in my third year with enough stress from numerous assignments and a 10,000 word dissertation on top. Oh and thirdly, as a third year student why are we restricted to taking out a maximum of 20 books, it needs to be more; especially when conducting library based research. Changes need to be made and the system needs to checked.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am sorry that you have been experiencing problems with printing.

There have been no changes to the printing system. The problems the University has experienced with printing are directly to do with the upgrade to Windows 10 and would not affect printing from DISCOVER. 
Regarding your specific queries have you raised your concerns with the library staff at Bedford?
The printing issues you describe namely Missing pages this is best dealt with at the time the error happened but did you specify a page range or did the machine indicate that it had run out of paper/toner?
The second point you make - cannot print articles. Are you sure you were able to access "full text" versions of the article?
When you're next in the library ask the staff to do a print log so you can check what you asked for and what got printed.

Regarding our loan limits. We have a maximum of 20 items so the whole University community has equitable access to the materials in Learning Resources. I would advise you to contact your Academic Liaison Librarian to get advice on accessing the best resources for your final year
https://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/studyhub@library/what-is-study-hub/study-hub-teams/academicliaison/Keith_Daniels

https://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/applied-soc-studies