Thursday 30 November 2017

Luton Library - Study Environment

I am a first year student with the University and I wish to bring to your attention an issue that is of great concern for me and several of my mates.

You cannot find anywhere to study in the library, regardless of which level, where people are not shouting, talking relentless, making phones calls, having discussion and even playing videos. This is not right. It is not fair on those who go there to read. There are enough levels to assign some levels to silent study only with University staff to monitor disturbance.

This is my first complaint and I can't imagine I will be the first. I will keep complaining throughout my 4 years here until this problem is effectively addressed.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. May I offer a quick (and I hope effective) solution? On levels 4, 5 & 6 of Luton Library there are silent study rooms. These are large rooms with individual study spaces where you can use your own mobile device or borrow a Learning Resources laptop. There are a few desktop PCs but the numbers are lower than elsewhere in the library to keep the noise down. Please do not confuse Silent Study rooms with the Group study rooms. The group study rooms are small, for groups of 4 - 7 students and bookable.

If you use these designated silent spaces I think you will be happier. Please note everyone is expected to comply with the Silence requirement. If you hear anyone talking you may contact staff on the customer service desk on level 1 for assistance or email libraryideas@beds.ac.uk during staffed hours for assistance. If you need to talk yourself just step outside the silent room have your conversation and return.