Wednesday 7 October 2015

Luton - study environment

I am a new student in Beds and I have found the library more energetic that what I preceive a university library should be. I have tried to work in the silent areas these few days and I see students talking to each other in normal volume and other users talking on phones and having sandwich. Just now, I heard baby crying when I was reading near the International Office.


Unfortunately, it is not the kind of quiet environment I believe a university library would promise. There are social learning spaces users should go to if that feel like chitchating/ doing group projects. Moreover, phone calls should never be allowed inside the libarary. I strongly suggest that the employees in library should patrol more around and tap on the shoulders of those who have a different interpretation on how library should be used. besides, there should be a solid wall between the library and the International Office.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know your concerns. Learning Resources provides a variety of learning environments in the Luton LRC. There are two Silent floors - levels 2 & 3. If there is any talking on these floors staff patrols or reporting the problem to the customer service desk should remedy this.

Elsewhere in the library conversations are permitted as group learning is on the syllabus for every course of study at the University.
http://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/libraryservices/availableservices/study-env

If you heard a baby crying the infant would probably have been with its parents in the International office as it is against University regulations for under 18s to be in the Luton LRC.

I am afraid that building modifications are not possible to help sound proof the current Luton LRC. May 2016 we will be relocating to the brand new library which will have silent rooms on a number of floors and will not have the shared space issues you describe in your email. In the meantime I would advise you to study on level 2 or 3. if you need help finding these floors please ask staff at the Customer Service desk on level 1 who will be only too happy to help.