Tuesday 30 September 2014

Putteridge Bury Education Collection

as I am sure you are aware of the fact that we (Applied Education Studies) have limited library access at our Putteridge Bury Campus. It seems that none of us were given any formal warning of this or real reasons why. Only a piece of paper stated that the university can not man the library. While it may seem simple for us to collect books from another location I can assure you it is not. I work fulltime and have a family which adds extra demands on my time. I do not have any spare time which allows me to travel to another campus. I chose to study at this campus due to it being convenient to my home, work and children and pay a lot of money for a service that I will now not be benefiting from fully. It seems at the moment we can still borrow books from the library I suspect these will get fewer and fewer as time goes by. How is a library service incorporated into university fees? Surely we are entitled to a fully functional library. This is our final year at university and could really do without the added pressure of having a very limited library. If I need to contact somebody else regarding this matter please let me know, alternatively forward the email on to the correct person. I look forward to hearing your response.


I understand your frustration - please understand this decision has not been taken lightly and we are trying to put some restorative measures in place. Please be clear the Education Collection is available on a self service honour basis Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm. It will remain open while we solve the staffing issues. When new staff are in place the facility to collect reservations will be restored. In the meantime should you need to collect a reservation the nearest location is Butterfield (just across the dual carriage way from Putteridge) or, the most convenient location is Luton which is open 24/7 x 365